The parish of St. Gregory the Great in Hamilton Square, NJ was founded on November 24, 1953. The solemn blessing and dedication of the Church of St. Gregory the Great took place on February 27, 1955.
St. Gregory the Great School (now Academy) officially opened its doors to 184 students on September 15, 1965 and was formally dedicated on Sunday, April 3, 1966 by his Excellency, Bishop George W. Ahr. Each year after its opening in 1965, another grade was added until, in 1971, enrollment had grown to 437 students and the first 45 students graduated. In 1983, the parish opened the Gregorian Learning and Development Center, the GLDC Preschool, to provide Catholic preschool education. On July 1, 2012, St. Gregory the Great Academy was formally established by Bishop David O'Connell.
As the parish continued to grow, so did the number of parish organizations and types of activities. It became evident that a parish center was needed. On November 4, 1990, the new Parish Community Center was dedicated.
Through the 1990s, more and more people came to call St. Gregory the Great their parish home. As with many growing families, it came time for the parish to consider moving to a bigger place. On Pentecost Sunday 2002, the people of St. Gregory the Great Parish broke ground to begin construction of a new church. Our beautiful new house of worship was completed in 2004 and dedicated on March 13 of that year.
From modest beginnings in 1953, we have blossomed into a large, busy, dynamic, and energetic community. Through the hard work, dedication, and love of all its people, we have surely become: "The parish where everyone is someone very special.”
|Rev. Edward Draus, Pastor||1954-1957|
|Rev. Joseph Wade, Pastor||1957-1973|
|Rev. Joseph Bishoff, Pastor||1973-1978|
|Rev. Stanislaus Polczk, Associate Priest|
|Msgr. James McManimon, Pastor||1978-1986|
|Msgr. Joseph Ferrante, Pastor||1986-1992|
|Rev. Thomas Gervasio, Associate Priest|
|Rev. Michael Lang, Asssociate Priest|
|Msgr. Richard Brietske, Pastor||1992-1995|
|Rev. Steve Smutko, Associate Priest|
|Msgr. Richard LaVerghetta, Pastor||1995-2007|
|Rev. Michael Manning, Associate Priest|
|Rev. Damian McElroy, Associate Priest|
|Msgr. Stan Kloskowski, Retired Assistant Priest|
|Rev. Jay Bowden, Retired Assistant Priest||2007-Present|
|Rev. Ed Griswold, Pastor||2007-2009|
|Rev. Ian Trammell, Pastor||2009-2014|
|Rev. Tom Fesen, Parochial Vicar||2009-2012|
|Rev. Kevin Kimtis, Parochial Vicar||2012-2014|
|Rev. Tom Vala, Parochial Vicar||2013-2015|
|Rev. Michael McClane, Pastor||2014-Present|
|Rev. Michael Hall, Parochial Vicar||2015-2016|
|Rev. Jason Parzynski, Parochial Vicar||2016-Present|
|Rev. Augusto Gamalo, Parochial Vicar||2016-Present|